SPI’s flagship program, Solution Selling® came under attack in the Harvard Business Review causing a catastrophic impact to the business. After 30 years, SPI’s founder wanted to retire but wanted to recover some lost value by creating a growth story.
I was retained as acting-CMO to help reposition SPI from “The Solution Selling Company”
to a technology-enabled sales consultancy, and drive new growth opportunities. Here’s
what I did:
1. Interviewed recent buyers to understand their needs, process and SPI’s differentiators
2. Developed new messaging built around the problems we solved for clients, the value
we deliver, and our new unique differentiators (SPI-1).
3. Launched new buyer-centric websites with more intuitive navigation.
4. Launched a new content marketing strategy that leveraged SPI’s subject matter
experts, research and video to position SPI as a thought leader in the industry.
5. Aggressively grew our email marketing database and Google Adwords program.
6. Launched precision trigger-event and account-based marketing (ABM) programs to
generate proactively large transformational opportunities.
The impact was quick and substantial. Over a 2-year period:
• Web traffic increased 5x
• Sales accepted leads increased 3x
• +$500K opportunities increased 4x
• New-customer, New-business (NC-NB) pipe increased 2x
• NC-NB bookings increased 75%
The growth turnaround enabled the founder to exit at a favorable valuation.